Tsangaridis, Chants Muscle Past East Carolina
Feb. 15, 2014
CONWAY - In a match highlighted by junior Philippe Tsangaridis defeating Joran Vliegen, the #13 ranked singles player in the nation, the Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team snapped East Carolina’s nine-game winning streak with a 4-1 victory on Saturday afternoon at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center. With the defeat of Vliegen, Tsangaridis enters the Chanticleer men’s tennis record book as having defeated the highest-ranked Coastal opponent.
With the win the Chanticleers advance to 4-3 while the Pirates lost only their second match of the season, and now sit at 9-2.
Due to weather and the match being delayed, the doubles point was bypassed and play began with singles.
Sophomore Hunter Whalen struck first for the Chants, defeating Colin Roller in straight sets at No. 6, 6-3, 6-2. Garik Yedigarian gave the Chants a 2-0 lead with the second, and last, straight-sets victory of the day, downing Mario Martinez at No. 3, 6-3, 6-1.
Fredric Lehfeldt of ECU then cut Coastal’s lead in half, outlasting Jabor Al-Mutawa in three sets, 1-6, 6-3, 6-0.
Leo Christofides would give Coastal its third point, battling back from a first-set loss to win the final two sets 6-4, 6-3.
Tsangaridis, ranked 109 in singles, ended the match with a tight 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 win at No. 1 over Vliegen.
“This was a special win today against an excellent team,” said head coach Chris Powers. “I am starting to see the team define itself, but we have to continue to work hard and give more to reach our goals this season. We are going to feel good about this one until we punch the clock again on Monday for practice.”
The Chanticleers return to action on Friday when they host Appalachian State for a 1 p.m. match at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
Coastal Carolina 4, East Carolina 1
1. TSANGARIDIS, Philipp (COASTAL) def. Joran Vliegen (ECU) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6
2. Nilsson, Ted (COASTAL) vs. Nicolas Soriano (ECU) 6-1, 5-7, 1-4, unfinished
3. Yedigarian, Garik (COASTAL) def. Mario Martinez (ECU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Christofides, Leo (COASTAL) def. Damien Brenard (ECU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Fredric Lehfeldt (ECU) def. Al-Mutawa, Jabor (COASTAL) 1-6, 6-3, 6-0
6. Whalen, Hunter (COASTAL) def. Colin Roller (ECU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Joran Vliegen/Colin Roller (ECU) vs. TSANGARIDIS, Philipp/CHRISTOFIDES, Leo (COASTAL) no result
2. Damien Brenard/Fredric Lehfeldt (ECU) vs. NILSSON, Ted/AL-MUTAWA, Jabor (COASTAL) no result
3. Patriek Wolterbeek/Miles Holvoet (ECU) vs. YEDIGARIAN, Garik/SAMED, Renan (COASTAL) no result
East Carolina 9-2
Coastal Carolina 4-3
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (6,3,5,4,1)