Feb. 9, 2014
Blacksburg, Va. - The Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team lost a 7-0 decision on Sunday afternoon when it took on the #41 nationally-ranked Virginia Tech Hokies at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
The Chanticleers (3-3) trailed from the start, losing all three doubles matches and surrendering the match’s first point.
Despite suffering a loss, the Coastal pair of Leo Christofides and Philippe Tsangaridis showed their skill as a doubles tandem at No. 1, battling the #49 nationally-ranked pair of Andreas Bjerrehus and Hunter Koontz to an 8-6 decision.
The Hokies continued to impress during singles play, with each match being decided in straight sets.
Tsangaridis, Nilsson and Al-Mutawa all had the task of facing ranked opponents in Amerigo Contini (#26), Bjerrehus (#60) and Aaron Gomez (#122).
“We fought really hard today,” said Chanticleer head coach Chris Powers. “I was really proud of how we competed today against a very good team. Although the score didn’t go our way, I think we took a step forward as a program today.”
The Chanticleers return to action on Saturday, Feb. 15, when they host East Carolina for a 1 p.m. match at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
#41 Virginia Tech 7, Coastal Carolina 0
1. #26 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. TSANGARIDIS, Philipp (COASTAL) 6-3, 6-4
2. #60 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Nilsson, Ted (COASTAL) 6-3, 6-3
3. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Yedigarian, Garik (COASTAL) 6-2, 6-0
4. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Christofides, Leo (COASTAL) 6-4, 6-3
5. #122 Aaron Gomez (VT) def. Al-Mutawa, Jabor (COASTAL) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jai Corbett (VT) def. Whalen, Hunter (COASTAL) 6-4, 6-1
1. #49 Andreas Bjerrehus/Hunter Koontz (VT) def. CHRISTOFIDES, Leo/TSANGARIDIS, Philipp(COASTAL) 8-6
2. Jai Corbett/Joao Monteiro (VT) def. AL-MUTAWA, Jabor/NILSSON, Ted (COASTAL) 8-3
3. Amerigo Contini/Florian Nicoud (VT) def. TIMMERMAN, Rick/YEDIGARIAN, Garik (COASTAL) 8-3
Coastal Carolina 3-3
Virginia Tech 4-2; National ranking #41
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,6,5,4,2)