Feb. 8, 2013
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team pulled out a tight 4-3 victory in their 2013 home opener over the visiting Spartans of USC Upstate.
Coastal (2-2) struck first, taking the doubles point from USC Upstate (3-3) to take an early 1-0 lead in the match.
Yusuke Kusuda and Ted Nilsson, playing at No.1, dropped a 8-4 decision to Matthias Kidler and Viktor Selander of the Spartans. Coastal’s Leo Christofides and John Karle beat out Jacob Darling and Jamie Yates 8-5 at No. 3 to stay a perfect 4-0 in doubles competition this season. Garik Yedigarian and Matias Di Pasquale would then seal the doubles point for the Chants after they edged out Gonzalo Blanco and Yvon Haessig 8-4.
In singles play, USC Upstate took control early, getting wins at No. 2 where Haessig bested Nilsson (6-2, 6-0), and No. 1 where Kidler overmatched Kusuda of the Chants (6-3, 6-4). Coastal then went on the take the No. 4 (Yedigarian def. Selander 6-3, 6-3), No. 3 (Christofides def. Blanco 3-6, 6-0, 6-3) and No. 5 (Di Pasquale def. Yates 7-6, 6-3) matches, earning three points and sealing the victory for the Chants.
"Today was a good old-fashioned dog fight," said head coach Chris Powers. "Both teams were spirited and fought very hard. We haven't fully hit our stride as a team yet, but this was a scrappy win for this program today."
The Chants will compete in the second match of their four game home stand Saturday, Feb. 16 when they host Wofford for a 1 p.m. match at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
USC Upstate vs. Coastal Carolina
Feb. 8, 2013
Coastal Carolina 4, USC Upstate 3
1. Kidler (UPST) def. Kusuda (CCU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Haessig (UPST) def. Nilsson (CCU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Christofides (CCU) def. Blanco (UPST) 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
4. Yedigarian (CCU) def. Selander (UPST) 6-3, 6-3
5. Di Pasquale (CCU) def. Yates (UPST) 7-6, 6-3
6. Simonetti (UPST) def. Whalen 2-6, 7-6, 6-0
1. Kidler/Selander (UPST) def. Kusuda/Nilsson (CCU) 8-4
2. Yedigarian/Di Pasquale (CCU) def. Blanco/Haessig (UPST) 8-4
3. Christofides/Karle (CCU) def. Darling/Yates (UPST) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,1,4,3,5,6)