Feb. 7, 2014
Spartanburg, S.C. - The Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team suffered its second loss of the season on Friday afternoon, falling 5-2 to Wofford at the Reeves Tennis Center.
The loss puts the Chanticleers at 3-2 on the season, while Wofford drew even at 4-4 with the win.
The Chants came on strong at the beginning of the match, sweeping the doubles matches to claim the first point of the day.
Ted Nilsson and Jabor Al-Mutawa delivered a 6-2 loss to Jackson Keith and Walker Heffron at No. 2, followed by 6-2 decision in favor of Philippe Tsangaridis and Leo Christofides at No. 1 to clinch the point.
Nilsson extended the Chants’ lead to 2-0 as singles began, taking a 6-3, 6-5 win at No. 3 over Keith.
Wofford stormed back however, taking the five remaining singles points, four of which were decided in the third set.
Yedigarian, playing at No. 2, won his second set 6-3, after dropping the first, only to fall 6-2 in the third to even the match at 2-2. Walker Heffron then managed to hold off Christofides 3-6, 6-5 (11-9), 6-1 before Rob Galloway closed out the match at No. 1, defeating Tsangaridis 4-6, 6-5 (9-7), 6-4.
“I tip my hat to Wofford,” said head coach Chris Powers after the match. “We had chances to finish this match and they continued to fight when they were down. They are a much improved team.”
The Chants have little time to rest as they travel to Blacksburg, Va., on Sunday to take on #33 Virginia Tech. Live scoring for the noon matchup will be available HERE.
Wofford College 5, Coastal Carolina 2
1. Rob Galloway (WOF) def. TSANGARIDIS, Philipp (COASTAL) 4-6, 6-5 (9-7), 6-4
2. Haris Poric (WOF) def. Yedigarian, Garik (COASTAL) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Nilsson, Ted (COASTAL) def. Jackson Keith (WOF) 6-3, 6-5
4. Walker Heffron (WOF) def. Christofides, Leo (COASTAL) 3-6, 6-5 (11-9), 6-1
5. Trevor Gotkowski (WOF) def. Al-Mutawa, Jabor (COASTAL) 6-4, 6-2
6. Parks Thompson (WOF) def. Whalen, Hunter (COASTAL) 6-5 (10-8), 5-6 (6-8), 6-4
1. TSANGARIDIS, Philipp/CHRISTOFIDES, Leo (COASTAL) def. Rob Galloway/Haris Poric (WOF) 6-2
2. NILSSON, Ted/AL-MUTAWA, Jabor (COASTAL) def. Jackson Keith/Walker Heffron (WOF) 6-2
3. YEDIGARIAN, Garik/TIMMERMAN, Rick (COASTAL) def. Trevor Gotkowski/David Sklar (WOF) 6-4
Coastal Carolina 3-2
Wofford College 4-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,5,2,4,1,6)
Match played with new ITA experimental format