Men's Tennis Falls to UNC Greensboro 5-2
Feb. 1, 2013
Greensboro, N.C. - Coastal Carolina men’s tennis dropped their second match of the season, 5-2, to UNC Greensboro at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center.
John Karle and Leo Christofides won the first doubles match for Coastal (1-1) before the UNCG (1-0) pairs of Ahmet Sarioglu/Daniel Mack and James Dougherty/Randy Phillips won the next two to take the doubles point for the Spartans.
In singles competition, Cameron Smith and Daniel Mack of UNCG won the first two matches in the five and six positions to take a 3-0 lead. Coastal then cut the lead to 3-2 after Yusuke Kusuda defeated Sarioglue 6-4,6-2, and Ted Nilsson downed Dougherty 7-6(7-4), 7-6(9-7).
“The doubles point proved to be big today,” said head coach Chris Powers. “UNCG definitely play well indoors, but we used today’s experience as a building block for another indoor match against Virginia Tech tomorrow. Virginia Tech is nationally ranked and will be ready to compete regardless of the results of today’s match.”
Saturday’s match against Virginia Tech, originally scheduled for 1 p.m., has been rescheduled to 11 a.m. in Blacksburg, Va.
1. Yusuke Kusada (CCU) def. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG), 6-4, 6-2
2. Ted Nilsson (CCU) def. James Dougherty (UNCG), 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (9-7)
3. Gaston Murray (UNCG) def. Garik Yedigarian (CCU), 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
4. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Matias Di Pasquale (CCU), 7-5, 7-6 (9-7)
5. Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Leo Christofides (CCU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Cameron Smith (UNCG) def. Hunter Whalen (CCU), 6-4, 6-3
1. James Dougherty/Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Yusuke Kasuda/Ted Nilsson
2. Ahmet Sarioglu/Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Garik Yedigarian/Matias Di Pasquale(CCU), 8-7 (8-6)
3. Leo Christofides/John Karle (CCU) def. William Albright/Gaston Murray (UNCG), 8-5
Coastal Carolina 1-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,1,2,3)