Jan. 27, 2014
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina men's tennis team continued to roll through the early portion of its schedule, handing South Carolina State, the defending MEAC champions, a 6-1 loss on Monday afternoon at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
The Chanticleers have now won three straight since dropping their first match of the season to nationally-ranked Wake Forest, improving their record to 3-1 after Monday's win. South Carolina State, meanwhile, begins its season 0-1.
Coastal struck first, taking the doubles point for the second-consecutive match.
The Coastal duo of Leo Christofides and Philippe Tsangaridis grabbed an 8-5 win at No. 1 doubles, while Ted Nilsson and Jabor Al-Mutawa teamed up to hand an 8-2 loss to the SC State pair of Daniel Vala and Martin Figura at No. 2.
Coastal stumbled as singles play began, dropping four first sets, but the Chants rebounded strong into the second and third sets.
Tsangaridis took the first singles point for Coastal, dispatching Martin Kobza 6-4, 6-0 at No. 1. Nilsson followed up with a straight-sets victory at No. 2 to give the Chants a commanding 3-0 lead.
Figura brought the Bulldogs back into the match with a straight-sets win over Al-Mutawa at No. 5, but Timmerman managed to seal the match for Coastal with a 6-2, third set at No. 6.
Yedigarian and Christofides capped the 6-1 decision with wins at Nos. 2 and 4, respectively.
"I was real proud of how we battled back after losing four first sets," said head coach Chris Powers. "We are still defining ourselves as a team, but we bled some teal for each other today."
The Chants will look to extend their three-game win streak on Saturday when they host the #44 nationally-ranked UNC Wilmington Seahawks at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center. The start time of the match is set for 1 p.m.
Coastal Carolina 6, South Carolina State 1
1. Tsangaridis, Philippe (COASTAL) def. Martin Kobza (SCST) 6-4, 6-0
2. Yedigarian, Garik (COASTAL) def. Khalil Naji (SCST) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. Nilsson, Ted (COASTAL) def. Daniel Vala (SCST) 6-2, 7-5
4. Christofides, Leo (COASTAL) def. Stanislav Baco (SCST) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
5. Martin Figura (SCST) def. Al-Mutawa, Jabor (COASTAL) 6-3, 7-5
6. Timmerman, Rick (COASTAL) def. Marius Dragoi (SCST) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
1. CHRISTOFIDES, Leo/TSANGARIDIS, Philipp (COASTAL) def. Martin Kobza/Khalil Naji (SCST) 8-5
2. NILSSON, Ted/AL-MUTAWA, Jabor (COASTAL) def. Daniel Vala/Martin Figura (SCST) 8-2
3. Stanislav Baco/Jiri Stiburek (SCST) def. SAMED, Renan/TIMMERMAN, Rick (COASTAL) 8-6
South Carolina State 0-1
Coastal Carolina 3-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,3,5,6,2,4)