Jan. 17, 2014
Greensboro, N.C. - Freshman Jabor Al-Mutawa fought back from a 4-0 deficit in the third set to clinch the match-winning point for Coastal Carolina in a 4-3 nail biter against the UNC Greensboro Spartans on Friday. Al-Mutawa, who suffered through cramps towards the end of the match, was forced to complete the third set with his teammates' racquets after all of his had broken earlier in the contest.
With the win the Chanticleers draw even on the season at 1-1. UNC Greensboro begins its season at 0-1.
The Chanticleers were down 3-2 late in the match before Philippe Tsangaridis rallied to win in three sets at No. 1 singles and Al-Mutawa closed out the match in the No. 5 slot.
"This was a crazy match to say the least," head coach Chris Powers commented after the match. "We never quit and pulled out a really good win. UNCG left it all out there as well. Overall it was just a really great match."
UNCG struck first, winning two of the three doubles bouts to take the match's first point.
As play moved to singles, Nilsson tied the match for the Chants at 1-1 after defeating Daniel Mack in the No. 3 slot, 6-2, 6-0.
UNCG quickly regained the lead after Randy Phillips bested Timmerman, 7-5, 6-1 at No. 4, but Coastal managed to once again tie the match, with Yedigarian posting a 6-2, 6-3, victory over James Dougherty at No. 2
The Spartans regained a 3-2 lead after the No. 6 singles duel which saw UNCG's Murray best Christofides in a 7-6 (7-2), 6-3 decision.
With the match on the line, Tsangaridis and Al-Mutawa were able to grind out three-set victories that gave the Chanticleers the final edge and the 4-3 victory.
The match, which began at 1:30, lasted over five hours.
Coastal's next match will take place in Conway at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center when the Chants play host to South Carolina State for a 1 p.m. match.
Coastal Carolina 4, UNC Greensboro 3
1. Philippe Tsangaridis (COASTAL) def. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Garik Yedigarian (COASTAL) def. James Dougherty (UNCG) 6-2, 6-0
3. Ted Nilsson (COASTAL) def. Daniel Mack (UNCG) 6-2, 6-0
4. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Rick Timmerman (COASTAL) 7-5, 6-1
5. Jabor Al-Mutawa (COASTAL) def. Cameron Smith (UNCG) 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
6. Gaston Murray (UNCG) def. Leo Christofides (COASTAL) 7-6, 6-3
1. James Dougherty/Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Leo Christofides/Phillipe Tsangaridis (COASTAL) 8-5
2. Daniel Mack/Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Ted Nilsson/Jabor Al-Mutawa (COASTAL) 8-6
3. Rick Timmerman/Garik Yedigarian (COASTAL) def. Nazhone Wilkins/Jimmy Roueche (UNCG) 8-4
Coastal Carolina 0-2
UNC Greensboro 1-0
Order of finish: (3,4,2,6,1,5)