Jan. 11, 2014
Winston-Salem, N.C. - The Coastal Carolina men’s tennis team lost its season-opening match at Wake Forest on Saturday, falling 9-0 to the #19 nationally ranked Demon Deacons. The loss was the first time in three years that the Chanticleers had lost an opening match, dating back to 2010 when Coastal fell to another ranked team, #59 UNC Wilmington.
With the win, Wake Forest begins its season 1-0, while the Chants will look to rebound from a 0-1 record.
Saturday’s match was played indoors with a format of four doubles matches with one point on the line, and eight singles matches that counted for one point apiece for a total of nine points.
Wake Forest took the opening point of the match, defeating all four of Coastal’s doubles pairs.
The Chants’ Philippe Tsangaridis and Leo Christofides fell in the No. 1 doubles position to the #30 nationally ranked pair of Adam Lee and Pedro Dumont. Wake’s Ho and Bloom followed up with a 6-4 win over Ted Nilsson and Jabor Al-Mutawa at No. 2. Coastal’s Renan Samed and Rick Timmerman, playing at No. 3, fell 6-1 and Garik Yedigarian and Stefan Jakubov could not hold at No. 4, losing by a 6-4 decision.
Led by the #20 and #59 ranked singles players in the country, Wake Forest proceeded to win all eight singles draws in two sets to claim the final points of the match.
Yedigarian , playing at No. 2 singles, was the closest to grabbing a point for Coastal, battling #59 Lee to a 6-5 (7-3), 6-5 (7-3) decision.
"I think we can take a lot from this experience," said head coach Chris Powers. "I think we gave a good effort but we need to work on fundamentals this week at practice. We have another very tough match next week."
Coastal’s next match will be played at noon on Jan. 17, at UNC Greensboro. It will be the last road match before the Chants’ home-opener against South Carolina State on Jan. 25.
#19 Wake Forest 9, Coastal Carolina 0
1. #20 Romain Bogaerts (WF) def. TSANGARIDIS, Philipp (COASTAL) 6-0, 6-4
2. #59 Adam Lee (WF) def. Yedigarian, Garik (COASTAL) 6-5 (7-3), 6-5 (7-3)
3. Maksim Kan (WF) def. Nilsson, Ted (COASTAL) 6-2, 6-3
4. Jon Ho (WF) def. Al-Mutawa, Jabor (COASTAL) 6-2, 6-0
5. Pedro Dumont (WF) def. Timmerman, Rick (COASTAL) 6-1, 6-2
6. Aws Laaribi (WF) def. Christofides, Leo (COASTAL) 6-0, 6-1
7. Jaya Billa (WF) def. Whalen, Hunter (COASTAL) 6-1, 6-4
8. Sam Bloom (WF) def. Samed, Renan (COASTAL) 6-4, 6-2
1. #30 Adam Lee/Pedro Dumont (WF) def. TSANGARIDIS, Philipp/CHRISTOFIDES, Leo (COASTAL) 6-4
2. Jon Ho/Sam Bloom (WF) def. NILSSON, Ted/AL-MUTAWA, Jabor (COASTAL) 6-4
3. Romain Bogaerts/Maksim Kan (WF) def. SAMED, Renan/TIMMERMAN, Rick (COASTAL) 6-1
4. Laaribi/Delcore (WF) def. Yedigarian/Jakubov (Coastal) 6-4
Coastal Carolina 0-1
Wake Forest 1-0; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Singles (6,5,4,7,1,3,8,2)