Sweet 16: Coastal Travels to Cal Sunday
Nov. 29, 2013
CONWAY - Coastal Carolina travels to No. 4 seed Cal in the Third Round of the 2013 NCAA Men's Soccer Championship at 1:30 p.m. (PT) Sunday at Edwards Stadium in Berkeley, Calif. The Chanticleers are making their second consecutive and third overall appearance in the Tournament's Round of 16 since the tournament field expanded to 48 teams in 2001.
No. 11 Coastal Carolina (19-4-0, 9-1-0 BSC) at No. 4-seed Cal (13-4-2, 6-3-1 Pac-12)
Match 24 | NCAA Tournament Third Round
Date/Time: Dec. 1, 2013 | 1:30 p.m. PT
Venue: Edwards Stadium | Berkeley, Calif.
Television: Pac-12 Network
Live Stream: Pac-12.com
Live Stats: CalBears.com
For The Fans
The match will be shown live at Cleat Chasers (located in the 501 Food Lion plaza across Lowe's). Chanticleer fans wishing to view the match in the Conway/Myrtle Beach area are encouraged to join the watch party at Cleat Chasers.
• Coastal Carolina is making its second consecutive and third overall NCAA Tournament Round of 16 appearance since the tournament field expanded to 48 teams in 2001.
• Coastal dispatched 13th-seeded Charlotte 1-0 in the Tournament's Second Round.
• Coastal is in its fourth straight and 11th overall NCAA Tournament.
• The Chanticleers are 9-8-2 all-time in NCAA postseason play.
• Coastal has scored 19 goals during its current seven-game win streak.
• Ricky Garbanzo leads the Chants with 12 goals this season.
• Pedro Ribeiro has 11 goals and seven assists for a team-high 29 points, ranking 14th in the NCAA.
• Devin Cook has set the CCU and Big South single-season shutout records with 12.
• Coastal co-leads the nation with 47 goals scored through its 23 matches. The Chants also rank second in total points (138) and third in assists (44).
• Coastal Carolina won its third straight and 12th overall Big South regular season championship with a 9-1-0 record in league play.
• Coastal then won its 11th overall Big South tournament championship with a 2-0 victory over rival Liberty in the final.
HOW THE CHANTS GOT HERE ...
• Coastal won its 11th overall Big South Conference tournament championship to claim the league's automatic berth to the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship. Coastal dispatched Liberty 2-0 in the championship match.
• Coastal started the season 1-2 (with all three matches against top-20 ranked opponents) before reeling off an 11-match win streak. The Chants suffered back-to-back losses in late Oct./early Nov., but have rebounded to win each of their last seven outings.
• The Chanticleers defeated East Tennessee State 2-nil in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament on Thursday, Nov. 21 at the CCU Soccer Field then traveled to and defeated 13th-seeded Charlotte 1-0 in the Second round on Sunday, Nov. 24.
• Ricky Garbanzo scored the game-winner at Charlotte at the 4:14 mark of the first half.
LAST TIME VS. CALIFORNIA
• There is no `last time vs. California' as the Chanticleers and Golden Bears are meeting on the pitch for the first time.
• Moreover, the Chanticleers have never played a member of the Pac-12 conference.
CHANTICLEERS IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT
• 2013 marks the fourth consecutive and 11th overall NCAA Tournament appearance for the Chanticleers.
• The Chants have advanced to the Tournament's Third Round for the second consecutive season and third time overall since the tournament field expanded to 48 teams in 2001.
• Coastal has an 9-8-2 overall record in NCAA Tournament play.
• CCU reached the Round of 16 last season. The Chants defeated Elon (3-0) at home in the First Round then upset 15th-seeded Wake Forest (2-1 OT) in the Second Round before falling to second-seeded Maryland in the Round of 16.
• Coastal has upset a trio of national seeds in their history: No. 13 Charlotte (2013), No. 15 Wake Forest (2012) and No. 4 North Carolina (2003).
• Coastal is 0-1-0 all-time in NCAA Tournament matches played in the state of California, falling to UC Santa Clara 2-3 (OT) in 2003's Round of 16.
LEADING THE NATION
• The 2013 Chanticleers have quietly jumped into the NCAA lead for total goals with 47 on the season. The Chants have not scored more than five times in any one game and have won six contests by a 1-0 count.
• The Chanticleers led the NCAA in total goals in 2011 with 66 and finished second with 63 counters in 2012.
• In addition, Coastal ranks second in the country with 138 total points, third with 44 assists and eighth in points per game at a 6.0 clip.
TO BE THE BEST ... YOU'VE GOT TO PLAY THE BEST
• The 2013 Chanticleers have had no issue holding to the above statement. The Chants have squared off against seven ranked opponents this season, compiling a 4-3 record.
• In addition, of Coastal's eight regular season non-conference opponents five advanced to the NCAA Tournament.
GRINDING OUT VICTORIES
• Although Coastal Carolina is tied for tops in the NCAA with 47 total goals, the Chanticleers have had to grind out their fair share of 1-nil victories. The latest of which was at Charlotte in the NCAA Tournament's Second Round.
• Coastal claimed 1-0 victories over No. 17 Wake Forest (CCU scored at 42:01), No. 5 VCU (CCU scored at 00:56), Gardner-Webb (CCU scored at 86:21), Radford (CCU scored at 30:50), Liberty (CCU scored at 31:35) and No. 16 Charlotte (CCU scored at 4:14).
GARBANZO THE GOAL SCORER
• Junior forward Ricky Garbanzo has proven to be a dangerous goal scorer over his three seasons in Conway. After finishing second on the team with 13 goals a season ago, the Rock Hill, S.C., native leads the Chanticleers with 13 goals this season.
• His 32 career goals rank him 10th on the CCU all-time list, while his 13 in 2013 rank eighth-best in the NCAA.
• Equally as impressive as the quantity of Garbanzo's goals has been the timing. He has 14 career game-winners to date, including an astounding eight in 2013. Garbanzo counted the game-winners in three of the Chants' six 1-nil victories this season.