No. 12 Chants Host Gardner-Webb on Saturday
Sept. 27, 2013
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina men's soccer team, ranked 12th in the College Soccer News Top 30 national Poll, open the Big South Conference portion of its home schedule on Saturday, hosting Gardner-Webb. The Chanticleers and Runnin' Bulldogs are slated for a 7 p.m. kickoff at the CCU Soccer Field.
No. 12 Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (5-2-0 | 1-0-0, Big South) vs. Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs (4-3-0 | 1-0-0, Big South)
Date/Time: Sept. 28, 2013 | 7 p.m. (ET)
Venue: CCU Soccer Field | Conway, S.C.
Radio: None | Television: None
Video Stream: BigSouthSports.com | Live Stats: GoCCUSports.com
● Coastal is 5-2-0 this season with three of those wins coming against ranked opponents.
● Coastal has won four straight games after starting the season 1-2-0. During the win streak, the Chants have knocked off No. 15 UNC Greensboro and No. 5 VCU on the road.
● Pedro Ribeiro is Coastal's leading scorer on the season with five goals. He now has 25 career goals and is just five shy of cracking the CCU all-time goals scored list.
● After leading the NCAA in goals scored with 66 in 2011 and finishing second in 2012 with 63, the 2013 Chanticleers rank 25th in the nation with 14 goals this season.
● A Chanticleer has been named the Big South Conference Defensive Player of the Week in each of the past two weeks. Shawn McLaws garnered the honor for the week ending Sept. 15, while Devin Cook earned the award for the week ending Sept. 22.
● Coastal has won 20 consecutive Big South Conference regular season matches dating back to the 2010 season. The Chants last lost a Big South regular season game on Oct. 27, 2010 -- a span of 1,066 days and 21 matches.
● Freshman Sergio Camargo has proven himself a threat near the goal with three goals scored on a mere eight shot attempts.
● Portillo has started 73 career matches for the Chanticleers, the 10th most in CCU history. A start by Portillo on Saturday will tie him with current assistant coach Kyle Russell and Chanticleer great Neil Payne for eighth on the CCU all-time list.
● Coastal is a perfect 2-for-2 in penalty kick opportunities this season with both Ribeiro and Garbanzo converting on their chances.
● A victory Saturday would be the 200th for head coach Shaun Docking, who is in his 16th season, as a Chanticleer. Docking owns a career record of 219-111-29 in his 18 seasons as a head coach.
FOR THE FANS
For Saturday's game vs. Gardner-Webb, students can earn 200 GOTEAL Rewards points at the game by checking into CCU Soccer Field on Foursquare. If you haven't already, be sure to register today on GoTealRewards.com. Also, free Papa John's Pizza and refreshments will be made available for all fans by the bleachers while supplies last.