DURHAM, N.C. -- The Coastal Carolina men's golf team took a close tournament and dominated the field in the final 18 holes to post a 13-stroke victory at the 2006 Coca-Cola Duke Golf Classic, Oct. 8-9. The 54-hole event, hosted Duke University, was played at the Duke Golf Club (Par 72 - 7,105 yards) in Durham, N.C., the site of the 1962 and 2001 NCAA Championships.
The #21 Chanticleers fired the best round of the tournament in the final round with a seven-under 281. All five CCU players were under par on the day, with three 70s and two 71s. CCU finished at 851, the fourth-best 54-hole total in school history and 13 shots better than runner-up North Carolina, who entered the tournament ranked 16th nationally. No. 13 Duke finished third at 869.
Senior Dustin Johnson (Lexington, S.C./Dutch Fork) led the Chanticleers and the field, as he fired a nine-under 207 to win by one shot over David Holzworth of North Carolina. Junior Zack Byrd (Calabash, N.C./Byrd Academy) tied for seventh at two-under 214, while senior Moises Cobo (Seville, Spain/Pendleton School (Fla.)) and freshmen Sam Lyons (Little River, S.C./North Myrtle Beach) and Dan Obremski (Irwin, Pa./Penn-Trafford) tied for 11th at one-over 217.
The Chanticleers will next hit the course at the Callaway Match Play Championship, Sun.-Tue., Oct. 29-31. The tournament is being played at historic Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas.
Team Results Scores
1. Coastal Carolina (#21) 288-282-281=851
2. North Carolina (#16) 286-288-290=864
3. Duke (#13) 297-284-288=869
4. Old Dominion 294-286-295=875
6. Virginia Tech 292-290-297=879
7. UNC Greensboro 299-300-290=889
8. Charlotte 300-290-300=890
9. Florida Southern 299-297-297=893
10. Ohio State 296-300-299=895
11. Maryland 310-295-291=896
12. Houston 304-300-296=900
13. UNC Wilmington 298-304-299=901
14. Jacksonville 297-298-308=903
15. Furman 315-301-292=908
Individual Results (Top 5 Plus Coastal)
1. Dustin Johnson (Coastal) 69-68-70=207
2. David Holzworth (N. Carolina) 70-68-70=208
3. Clark Klaasen (Duke) 74-67-71=212
4. Lanto Griffin (VCU) 70-70-73=213
Jeff Long (Old Dominion) 70-70-73=213
Drew Weaver (Virginia Tech) 70-74-69=213
t7. Zack Byrd (Coastal) 74-70-70=214
t11. Moises Cobo (Coastal) 73-73-71=217
t11. Sam Lyons (Coastal) 75-71-71=217
t11. Dan Obremski (Coastal) 72-75-70=217