BREMERTON, WA - Coastal Carolinas mens golf team played well and finished in a tie for fourth at the 2004 Opus NW Husky Invitational, hosted by the University of Washington at the Olympic Course at Gold Mountain, Sept. 27-28.
The Chanticleers entered the final round in third place, trailing leader Southern California by 20 shots, while second through sixth were separated by just three shots. However, the real winner in the last round on Tuesday was the golf course, as the average player score was the highest in the three-round event, almost a shot per player more than the opening round. Coastal was not spared, as the Chants fell one place to finish behind champion USC, #15 BYU and #20 Washington into a tie with Minnesota, a 2004 NCAA Regional qualifier.
Ben Hayes of USC took home medalist honors at four-under 212, while CCUs Dustin Johnson tied for sixth at one-under 215. Jeremy Kirkland also posted a top-20 finish, tying for 16th at 220.
Coastal will next be in action Mon.-Tue., Oct. 10-11 at the Pepperdine/Club Glove Intercollegiate, held at the Saticoy Country Club in Malibu, CA.
1. USC 356-359-370=1085
2. BYU 371-363-358=1092
3. Washington 367-370-357=1094
4. Coastal Carolina 370-365-372=1107
4. Minnesota 366-371-370=1107
6. UC Irvine 368-368-383=1119
7. UC Davis 373-371-377=1121
8. Oregon State 381-377-381=1139
9. Washington State 376-393-375=1144
10. San Diego State 389-382-378=1149
Individual Standings (Top 5 Plus Coastal)
1. Ben Hayes (USC) 69-71-72=212
2. Oscar Alvarez (BYU) 73-68-72=213
3. Greg Machtaler (BYU) 70-72-72=214
3. Josh Persons (Minnesota) 71-71-72=214
3. Alex Prugh (Washington) 75-71-68=214
t6. Dustin Johnson (Coastal) 73-70-72=215
t16. Jeremy Kirkland (Coastal) 74-70-76=220
t23. Moises Cobo (Coastal) 73-76-74=223
27. Zack Byrd (Coastal) 75-72-77=224
t30. Brad Robinson (Coastal) 76-77-73=226
t49. Lindsay Renolds (Coastal) 75-80-80=235