GREENSBORO, NC The Coastal Carolina mens golf squad finished in second place at the inaugural Forest Oaks Intercollegiate, Apr. 4-5. The tournament was hosted by UNC Greensboro at the Forest Oaks Country Club in Greensboro, NC.
Louisville, who led after two rounds, shot 289 in the final round to post a 54-hole total of 873. Coastal could not close any ground in the final round, struggling to a 305 and finishing at 898, two shots better than host UNC Greensboro in third. East Carolina placed fourth at 902.
Individually, Derek Fathauer of Louisville took home the medalist honors, firing a two-under 214 for the three-round tournament, two shots better than second-round leader Jens Fahrbring of VCU. Coastals top finisher was freshman Zack Byrd, who tied for seventh at 220. Teammate Dustin Johnson also placed in the top 10, tying for ninth at 222.
Coastal is next on the tee to defend its Big South Conference title at the 2005 Palmetto Utility Protection Service (PUPS) Golf Championships to The Patriot Golf Club at Grand Harbor in Greenwood, S.C., Mon.-Wed., Apr. 18-20. The Chanticleers enter the event as the top seed and have already guaranteed themselves a place in the NCAA Regionals in May. Coastal will finish no worse than eighth in the region, with the top eight teams automatically qualifying for the regionals.
1. Louisville 286-298-289=873
2. Coastal Carolina 297-296-305=898
3. UNC Greensboro 300-302-298=900
4. East Carolina 303-301-298=902 5. VCU 304-293-311=908
6. Richmond 308-300-301=909
7. Chattanooga 298-306-306=910
8. Davidson 299-306-308=913
9. Rhode Island 303-311-302=916
10. Boston College 306-310-309=925
11. Old Dominion 313-308-309=930
12. Wofford 310-320-304=934
Individual Results (Top 5 Plus Coastal)
1. Derek Fathauer (Louisville) 71-72-71=214
2. Jens Fahrbring (VCU) 73-68-75=216
3. Steve Mayo (Davidson) 71-74-72=217
4. Charlie Woo (Louisville) 69-80-69=218
5. Steven Sherck (Richmond) 71-72-76=219
Jake Lowder (UNCG) 75-73-71=219
t7. Zack Byrd (Coastal) 72-72-76=220
t9. Dustin Johnson (Coastal) 73-75-74=222
t21. Brad Robinson (Coastal) 77-75-76=228
t26. Lindsay Renolds (Coastal) 76-74-79=228
t34. Moises Cobo (Coastal) 76-77-79=232