17th Annual General Hackler Championship Once Again Boasts Strong Field
CONWAY - As has been the case in the previous 16 years, this year's General Hackler Championship, presented by Myrtle Beach Golf Holiday and contested Mar. 10-11, will feature some of the nation's top collegiate golf programs. And, if the past is an indication, it could feature some big names on the PGA Tour in the future.
For full General Hackler Championship coverage, visit: http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-golf/archive/011518aac.html. For Live Scoring/Results, visit: http://results.golfstat.com//public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=14455.
For the fourth consecutive year, the General Hackler Championship will be played at The Dunes Golf & Beach Club and admission is free. Of the 15 teams set to compete, a record 14 are ranked among the nation's top 100, including:
- #2 Texas A&M.
- #8 Georiga Tech.
- #12 LSU.
- #23 North Florida.
- #26 South Carolina.
- #31 NC State.
- #32 Kent State.
- #38 Kentucky.
- #54 Virginia.
- #55 Liberty.
- #78 East Carolina.
- #81 East Tennessee State.
- #89 Coastal Carolina.
- #95 Virginia Tech.
The past Hackler Championships have featured the likes of:
- current world #1 and Coastal Carolina Hall of Famer Dustin Johnson.
- 2011 FedEx Cup champion and three-time President's Cup member Bill Haas (Wake Forest).
- 2012 FedEx Cup champion and two-time Ryder Cup member Brandt Snedeker (Vanderbilt).
- two-time Ryder Cup member Patrick Reed (Augusta).
- two-time PGA Tour winner Jamie Lovemark (Southern Cal).
- President's Cup member and 2003 Hackler winner Brendan de Jonge (Virginia Tech).
- Matt Hill (NC State), who won both the 2009 Hackler and the 2009 NCAA Championship.
- Augusta, which placed third at the 2010 Hackler and won the 2010 NCAA Championship.
- Augusta, which won the 2011 Hackler and won its second straight NCAA Championship.
- European Tour winner and two-time (2005 and '07) Hackler winner Rhys Davies (ETSU).
- PGA Tour member and 2008 Hackler winner Derek Fathauer (Louisville).
While the past has been impressive, this year's Chanticleer squad under first year head coach Jim Garren is shaping up to be one of the program's best.
- Coastal's team scoring average of 287.44 this season currently stands a school record.
- Coastal has finished sixth or better in four of its six events this season.
- Coastal has shot par or better as a team 10 times, which currently ranks fifth. (School record is 16 rounds at par or better with the next three on the list being 13 rounds of par or better.)
- Luis Ruiz and Thadd Obecny II have recorded 10 rounds of par or better in six events this season, while Morgan Deneen has eight.
- Ruiz currently sits atop the CCU single-season list for best scoring average on par 3's at 2.9683, while Thadd Obecny II is fourth (3.0635).
- Ruiz (4.0734) and Obecny (4.100) currently rank third and sixth, respectively, on the CCU single-season list for par 4 scoring.
- Deneen, who has shot 66 twice this season, ranks th¬ird on the school's single-season list for par 5 scoring at 4.6492, trailing All-Americans Dustin Johnson (4.5343) and Sebastian Soderberg (4.5969).