Quinn Backus Named to The Sports Network All-American Team
Dec. 10, 2012
CONWAY - Coastal Carolina sophomore linebacker Quinn Backus has been named to The Sports Network/Fathead.com FCS All-American third team.
Backus (Greenwood, S.C.) becomes Coastal's 16th All-American in the program's 10th season after being named the Big South Defensive Player of the Year, first team All-Big South, a five-time Big South Defensive Player of the Week and a two-time national defensive player of the week honoree this past season. He additionally helped Coastal to its fifth Big South Championship, third NCAA FCS Division I Championship berth and first appearance in second round of the NCAA playoffs.
Backus set a Coastal Carolina record with 139 tackles in 13 games during the 2012 season, which ranks second on the Big South single-season chart. He had 123 tackles during the 11-game regular season, which is also a CCU record and that total alone would have ranked fifth on the Big South list. Backus had eight games with at least 10 tackles this season and he led the Chants in stops seven times.
Backus is the only player ranked among the NCAA FCS in tackles to have at least: 100 tackles (139/10.69 avg.), 5.0 tackles for losses (8.0), 2.0 sacks (2.5), two interceptions (2), two forced fumbles (3), 2 fumble received (2) and two pass break-ups (4). In the Big South final statistics, Backus ranked second in tackles (10.69 average), seventh in tackles for losses, ninth-tied in sacks, ninth-tied in interceptions, first-tied in fumbles forced and first-tied in fumbles received.
BACKUS' BIG GAMES IN 2012
• Named Big South Defensive Player of the Week and CollegeSportsMadness.com Big South Defensive Player of the Week for his play at Furman ... Had a team-high 11 tackles, including seven in the first half as CCU held the Paladins to six points and just 103 yards of offense ... Added a TFL, a fumble recovery and two PBU.
• Named Big South Defensive Player of the Week and one of four National Defensive Players of the Week by the College Sports Journal for a standout performance at Toledo ... Led the Chanticleers with 13 tackles (nine solo and four assists) and came up with a key defensive play to help CCU trim its deficit to three with fewer than nine minutes to play ... With Coastal down 10 midway through the fourth, Backus stripped Toledo's Cassius McDowell and recovered the fumble. Five plays later, CCU scored a touchdown to cut its deficit to three, 31-28.
• Named Big South Defensive Player of the Week, as well as CollegeSportsMadness.com Big South Defensive Player of the Week, for his performance at VMI ... Had a team-high nine tackles, including a nine-yard sack that would eventually lead to a punt (CCU would block the punt and score a TD on the play) ... Led a defense that only allowed 16 rushing yards, the second-lowest single-game total by an opponent in CCU history.
• Named Big South Defensive Player of the Week, College Sporting News National Co-Defensive Player of the Week and 1 of 5 College Sporting News All-Stars in helping CCU hold Liberty to just 86 rushing yards --100 yards below its season average ... Tallied a career-high 15 tackles (7 solo, 8 assisted) and recorded his first career interception ... Added 1.5 TFL, including 1.0 sack for 7 yards, as a forced fumble.
• Named Big South Defensive Player of the Week and CollegeSportsMadness Big South Defensive Player of the Week after getting a career-high 16 tackles versus Charleston Southern ... Added 2.0 TFL for minus four yards, a forced fumble and an interception ...Pick came on the first drive of the game ... Forced Fumble came on CSU's second drive of the game.
• Had 10 tackles versus North Carolina A&T and 12 versus Stony Brook ... Led the team with five tackles in limited playing time at Presbyterian ... Had nine stops at Bethune-Cookman and seven at Old Dominion, getting a pass break-up in both contests.
NOTE: This is the second year in a row a Greenwood, S.C., native has earned All-American honors for Coastal Carolina as current Carolina Panther Josh Norman was a consensus pick in 2011. Norman was also an All-American in 2009 ... Backus is the second Chanticleer linebacker to earn All-American honors as Jamar Leath was an honorable mention selection in 2006 by Don Hansen's Weekly Gazette.
Coastal Carolina's Football All-Americans
Quinn Backus (2012)
Danny Bonifas (2010)
Rodney Burgess (2006)
David Duran (2010)
Tommy Fraser (2009)
Nick Johnson (2004)
Brian Kepple (2006)
Jamar Leath (2006)
Josh Norman (2009 and 2011)
Marrio Norman (2007)
Brad Poston (2006)
Jerome Simpson (2006 and 2007)
Quinton Teal (2005 and 2006)
Tyler Thigpen (2006)
Mike Tolbert (2007)
Antwon Trice (2004)