Nov. 4, 2013
CONWAY - The 9-0 Coastal Carolina football team remained at third in the FCS Coaches poll and moved up one spot to fifth in The Sports Network poll.
The Chanticleers are coming off a 50-25 victory over Charlotte this past weekend and will travel to Charleston Southern this Saturday (1 pm). The Buccaneers are ranked 16th by the FCS Coaches and 18th in the Sports Network poll. This will mark just the second time in CCU history where both the Chants and their opponent will be ranked entering the game. The only other time it has happened came when then #21 Coastal traveled to then #25 Eastern Kentucky and handed the Colonels a 51-32 decision.
Coastal holds a 7-3 advantage over Charleston Southern in the all-time series, including a 3-2 record in Charleston.
Below are some tidbits about Coastal's season to date:
- Coastal Carolina is the second Big South team to start 9-0, joining Charleston Southern in 2006.
- Coastal Carolina has won nine games in a season for the first time since going 9-3 in 2006.
- Coastal Carolina has scored 429 points this season. The CCU record is 446 - set last season in 13 games. Coastal CURRENTLY ranks fifth on the Big South single-season list for points in a season. The Big South record is 494, set by Stony Brook in 2011.
- Coastal has scored 59 touchdowns, which ranks fourth on the Big South single-season list. Stony Brook owns the mark with 66 in 2011.
- Coastal is averaging 47.7 points per game and is on pace to shatter the Big South record of 42.7 ppg by Liberty in 2007.
- Coastal has scored 30-plus points in eight games. The Big South record is 10 by Liberty in 2007.
- Coastal has scored 40-plus points in seven games, tying the Big South record with Stony Brook in 2011
- Coastal has scored 50-plus points six times - shattering the Big South single-season mark of four previously held by Liberty 2009
CCU SEASON RECORDS ON THE BRINK:
Category 2013 Total (Rank) CCU Record Rushing yards 2,553 (3rd) 3,058 in 2004 Rushing TDs 37 (2nd) 40 in 2004 Passing Yards 2,041 (6th) 3,439 in 2006 Passing TDs 19 (5th) 30 in 2006 Total Offense 4,594 (4th) 5,691 in 2012 Points Scored 429 (2nd) 446 in 2012 Touchdowns Scored 59 - RECORD old: 58 in 2012
- CCU OFFENSE IN THE NCAA FCS - Big South THIS SEASON:
1st - 1st in scoring offense (47.7 ppg)
1st - 1st in third down conversions (.570, 65-of-114)
1st - 1st in fewest tackles for loss allowed (2.89 per game)
2nd - 1st in red zone offense (.945, scored on 52-of-55 times in the red zone)
2nd - 1st in fumbles lost (2 total)
2nd - 1st in fewest turnovers (8 total)
3rd - 1st in rushing (283.7 ypg)
4th - 1st in fourth down conversions (.833, 4-of-5)
4th - 1st in first downs (238 total)
7th - 1st in total offense (510.4 ypg)
10th - 1st in passing efficiency (157.03 rating)
13th - 2nd in completion percentage (.660, 161-of-244)
16th - 2nd in fewest sacks allowed (1.0 avg, 9 in 9 games)
Head Coach Joe Moglia and Matt Hogue will recap the Charlotte game and preview CCU's game at Charleston Southern this weekend (Nov. 9 at 1 pm) at the weekly Chanticleer Call-In, held each Monday from 6-7 pm at Buffalo Wild Wings in Carolina Forest. The public is welcome to interact with Coach Moglia and participate in the show at the restaurant. For those unable to attend, the show is broadcast live locally on The Team 100.3 FM as well as online as part of the Chanticleer Sports Network. Questions may be phoned in at 843-652-3776, submitted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweeted @Chants365 by using the hashtag #ccucallin.