Ross joins Tyler Thigpen, Josh Norman and Chad Hamilton as Chants to make the prestigious 25-man AFCA All-American team
The loss ends the Chanticleers' season at 9-3, while The Citadel improved to 9-3 and will face cross-town rival Charleston Southern in the tournament's second round on Dec. 5.
Coastal Carolina vs The Citadel
Coastal at Liberty
Coastal Carolina Football vs. Gardner-Webb - Nov. 7, 2015 Hall of Fame Game
Coastal at Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina at Monmouth
• 2015 All-American (named to the 25-man American Football Coaches Association team).
• First Player to be a three-time first team All-Big South selection at quarterback.
• First football player in Big South history to be both a conference Player of the Year (Offensive in 2014) and a conference Scholar-Athlete of the Year (2015).
• Graduated cum laude (3.57 GPA) from Coastal Carolina with a degree in management in December 2014. He is currently pursuing his Master of Business Administration, has a 4.0 in his graduate studies and is scheduled to graduate December 2015.
• Coastal was 33-8 (.805) with Ross as the starting signal-caller.
• The Chanticleers were ranked #1 in the nation for eight weeks in 2015 and two weeks in 2014. In fact, Coastal Carolina has been ranked among the nation's top 25 for 44 consecutive polls, among the top five 28 times and among the top 10 in 37 of the last 38 ranking periods with the lone exception of CCU being ranked 11th in the final week of the regular season in 2013 -- Ross' sophomore season.
Big South All-Time Leader:
• Total Offense (11,482) • TD Responsibility (91) • Most Games with 300-plus yard of total offense (16) • Most Game with 400-plus yards of total offense (4) • Most Games with 3-plus TD passes (12) • Rushing TDs by a QB (19).
Coastal Carolina All-Time Leader:
• Pass Attempts (1,174) • Pass Completions (760) • Passing Yards (9,918) • Passing Yards Per Game (211..0) • Passing TDs (72) • Pass Completion Percentage (.647) • Pass Efficiency (151.8) • Total Offense (11,482) • TD Responsibility (91)
2015 FCS National Offensive Player of the Year Finalist (19th)
2015 CoSIDA Division I Academic All-America (2nd Team)
2015 Big South Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year
2015 1st Team All-Big South
2015 Big South Football All-Academic Team
2015 CoSIDA Academic All-District 4
2015 Two-Time Big South Offensive Player of the Week
- Once, named CFPA FCS National Performer of the Week and the STATS
FCS Honorable Mention National Offensive Player of the Week
2014 Walter Payton Award Finalist (7th)
2014 Big South Offensive Player of the Year
2014-15 Big South Bagwell Male Athlete of the Year Award Runner-Up
2014 1st Team All-Big South
2014 Three-Time Big South Offensive Player of the Week
2014-15 Big South Presidential Honor Roll
2013 1st Team All-Big South
2013 Two-Time CFPA National Offensive Player of the Week
2013-14 Big South Presidential Honor Roll
2012 Big South Freshman of the Week
2012-13 Big South Presidential Honor Roll
2011-12 Big South Presidential Honor Roll
• Named second team CoSIDA Division I Academic All-America as well as CoSIDA Academic All-District 4 ... Finalist for the STATS FCS National Offensive Player of the Year (19th) ... First team All-Big South ... Big South Scholar Athlete of the Year ... Academic All-Big South.
• Named Big South Offensive Player of the Week (Kennesaw St.) ... Also named CFPA National Offensive Performer of the Week and was honorable mention STATS FCS National Player of hte Week ... Tied both the Big South and Coastal Carolina single-game record with five touchdown passes while becoming the Big South's all-time leader for total offense ... Was 20-of-27 passing (.741) for 262 yards ... Threw TD strikes of 10, 16, 41, 15 and 26 yards as 15 of his 20 completions went for first downs against the Big South's second-leading pass defense.
• Named Big South Offensive Player of the Week (Gardner-Webb) ... Was near perfect versus a stingy Gardner-Webb defense, completing 14-of-16 passes for 209 yards with two touchdowns and an interception ... The 87.5 completion percentage is a CCU single-game record and ranks second in the Big South annals ... While Ross did have an interception -- which snapped a streak of 91 consecutive passes without a pick, Ross completed his last 10 passes for 141 yards with touchdown passes of 39 (to Craig Weick) and 55 yards (to Bruce Mapp).
• Set CCU single-game records with 415 passing yards and 454 yards of total offense versus The Citadel in the first round of the NCAA FCS Division I Championship.
• Led the Big South in nine offensive categories, including completion percentage (7th FCS, .668), passing efficiency (7th FCS, 155.8 rating), passing yards (10th FCS, 3,009), yards per pass attempt (10th FCS, 8.70), passing touchdowns (17th FCS, 21), total offense (21st FCS, 268.2 avg.), points responsible for (23rd FCS, 150 total), passing yards per completion (24th FCS, 13.03) and points responsible for per game (35th FCS, 12.7 avg.) . He additionally ranks 21st in the FCS (second in the Big South) in passing yards per game (250.8 avg.) and 26th in the FCS (second in the Big South) in completions per game (19.25).
• A finalist for the Walter Payton Award (7th) as the top player in the FCS .. The Big South Offensive Player of the Year and earned first team All-Big South. ... Was named team captain for the season and was voted the team's Offensive MVP for the 2014 season.
• For the second straight year, led CCU to a Big South Championship, a league-record 12 wins and the NCAA FCS quarterfinal while directing CCU to a #1 ranking -- a first by a Big South program -- in the FCS for the final two weeks of the regular season after an 11-0 start.
• In the loss at North Dakota State in the FCS Quarterfinal, Ross separated his shoulder early in the first quarter, but played the rest of the game as he led CCU a 32-31 advantage in the fourth quarter, completed a 48-yard pass and rushed for two TDs.
• Set Big South single-season records for passing yards (3,389), completions (271), yards of total offense (4,080), and total offensive plays (576) while his 691 rushing yards ranked second on the league's single-season list.
• Also set CCU single-season records for pass attempts (422), pass completions (271), passing yards (3.389) and total offense (4,080).
• Led the Big South in six offensive categories while ranking among the FCS leaders in passing yards (8th, 3,389); total offense (11th, 291.4 ypg); completion percentage (14th, .642); points responsible for (18th, 176); yards per passing attempt (20th, 8.03); passing efficiency (20th, 144.0 rating) and passing touchdowns (30th, 20).
• Was the Big South Offensive Player of the Week three times ... First, playing just three quarters in a 59-34 win at Charlotte, Ross tied his own CCU single-game record with 426 yards of total offense while, for the second consecutive week, established a career high with 370 passing yards ... Also, Coastal Carolina rolled up a school-record 690 yards of total offense - the fourth-best total in league history and just five yards shy of the league record - as the Chants set or tied seven school single-game records ... Second, was 29-of-43 passing (67.1 percent) for a then career-high 351 yards with two touchdowns in leading Coastal Carolina to a 38-14 win at Gardner-Webb ... His 29 completions were his second-most in a game, and 18 went for first downs ... Third, earned his first career weekly honor from the league in a win versus Elon ... Completed 34 passes on 47 attempts and tallied 426 yards of total offense - all Coastal Carolina single-game records ... Overall, Ross threw for 338 yards and two touchdowns while rushing nine times for a game-high 88 yards, including a 24-yard touchdown. • Named to the 2014-15 Big South Presidential Honor Roll for posting at least a 3.0 GPA for the academic year.
• Named first team All-Big South, helping the program win its sixth Big South title and set 24 single-season offensive records, including 17 Big South single-season marks.
• Started 14 games, missing the VMI contest due to injury) ... Coastal won 12 games, reached the NCAA Division I Championship quarterfinals and a final national ranking of seventh -- all CCU and Big South firsts.
• Led the Big South in seven offensive categories while ranking sixth in the FCS in passing efficiency (156.3), 14th in passing touchdowns (26), 14th in points responsible for (194), 16th in passing yards (3,093), 18th in yards per completion (13.33), 19th in completion percentage (.648) and 29th in total offense yards per game (259.5) ... Additionally ranked sixth in the Big South with six rushing TDs and seventh in the league by rushing for 540 yards.
• Named CFPA National Offensive Player of the Week for each of the first two weeks of the NCAA FCS Championship ... Versus Bethune-Cookman, threw a then career-high four touchdowns while completing 13-18-0-256 and added 32 yards on seven rushing attempts ... Had 324 yards of total offense in the win at Montana, rushing for a career-high 123 yards while completing 16-of-21 passes for 202 yards and three scores ... Completed an 86-yard TD pass to DeMario Benentt, the longest pass play in CCU history at the time.
• In the win at Eastern Kentucky, threw for 292 yards -- completing 19-of-28 passes with three touchdowns ... Added 78 yards rushing on nine attempts (8.7 average) for 370 yards of total offense.
• Named to the 2013-14 Big South Presidential Honor Roll for posting at least a 3.0 GPA for the academic year.
• Played in seven games, starting the Gardner-Webb game due to an injury to Aramis Hillary.
• Named Big South Freshman of the Week in the win at GWU ... Set a Big South freshman record with 404 yards of total offense, passing for 342 yards and rushing for 62 ... Completed 16-of-30 passes with one interception and three touchdowns while rushing 13 times for 62 yards ... Ross additionally led CCU to 596 yards of total offense which was the second-best, single-game output in CCU history at the time and completed an 81-yard TD pass to Niccolo Mastromatteo, which was the longest pass play in CCU history at the time.
• In 22 significant series for the season at quarterback, Ross led CCU to 14 scoring drives (12 TDs and 2 FGs).
• In the first drive of the third quarter versus Eastern Kentucky, came off the bench on the second play after Hillary left with an injury ... Completed 4-of-5 passes for 19 yards, including his first career TD -- a five-yard completion to Matt Hazel.
• Named to the 2012-13 Big South Presidential Honor Roll for posting at least a 3.0 GPA for the academic year.
• Named to the 2011-12 Big South Presidential Honor Roll for posting at least a 3.0 GPA for the academic year.
Prior to Coastal Carolina: Helped Buford High to three straight Georgia 2A state championships, serving as the starting quarterback in 2009 and 2010 while leading the Wolves to a 28-2 record over the span (and led his freshman team at Alpharetta HS to an undefeated season) ... Tabbed honorable mention All-State and named honorable mention on the All-Atlanta Journal Constitution all star team ... Added Gwinnett County All-Star recognition ... The Touchdown Club of Gwinnett honored Ross as a recipient of the Kevin Maloof Award, a player who puts team above himself ... As a senior, completed 96-of-158 passes for 1,785 yards and 17 touchdowns with just three interceptions, while completing 121-of-217 passes for 1,776 yards and 19 scores with seven picks as a junior ... Accounted for 5,308 yards of total offense in 2009 ... Set Buford career record for passing yards with 3,561 ... Coached by Jess Simpson.