CCU Travels to Minnesota for EA Sports Maui Invitational Opening Game
Nov. 18, 2013
CONWAY - The Coastal Carolina men’s basketball team will be back in action Tuesday, Nov. 19 at 7 p.m. (CST) as the Chants travel to Big Ten opponent the University of Minnesota. The game marks the opening of the EA Sports Maui Invitational. The Golden Gophers will travel to Hawaii to participate in the tournament while the Chants will return to Conway to host St. Francis Brooklyn, Louisiana Lafayette and Oakland for the EA Sports Maui on the Mainland Tournament.
Coastal Carolina (1-2) at Minnesota (3-0)
Tuesday, Nov. 19 | 7:00 p.m. (CST) | Minneapolis, Minn. | Williams Arena (14,625)
Coastal Carolina Versus Minnesota
• The Chanticleers traveled to Minnesota back in 2005 and fell 75-57.
• CCU led by 10 midway through the first half but a 22-2 run by the Golden Gophers to end the half gave Minnesota a 10-point halftime lead.
• The Golden Gophers pushed their lead to as much as 23 points in the second half and eventually won by 18.
• Pele Paelay led the Chants with 23 points on 8-12 shooting.
Chanticleers Versus Big Ten Opponents
• Coastal Carolina is 0-6 all-time against Big Ten opponents.
• The Chants most recent meeting with a Big Ten opponent was the 75-57 loss to Minnesota during the 2005-06 season. The Chants also fell at Wisconsin that season 92-54.
• CCU’s two NCAA Tournament appearances matched the Chants up with Big Ten opponents. CCU fell to Indiana 79-69 in the 1991 NCAA Tournament and fell to the “Fab Five” from Michigan 84-53 at the 1993 NCAA Tournament.
• The Chants have managed four major upsets over the past three seasons against BCS level teams.
• Under the guidance of head coach Cliff Ellis the Chants have knocked off LSU twice and Clemson twice over the past three seasons.
• The tremendous run began Dec. 13, 2010 when the Chants traveled to Baton Rouge, La. and knocked off the LSU Tigers 78-69 in overtime.
• The Tigers made a trip to Conway, S.C. the following season on Nov. 15, 2011 and once again the Chants came out on top 71-63.
• The magic continued just seven days later as CCU made a trip to Clemson, S.C. and took down the Tigers from Clemson, 60-59 on a last second shot.
• CCU’s most recent upset came last season as Clemson traveled to Conway on Dec. 19, 2012. The Chants dominated throughout the game and came away with a 69-46 victory.
The Elijah Wilson Show
• Freshman Elijah Wilson has not disappointed Chant fans over his first three games in a CCU uniform as he has paced the Chanticleer offense.
• Wilson entered the 2013-14 season known as the freshman guard who had tied Michael Jordan’s single-game scoring record at Laney High School during his senior season. He has now become CCU’s leading scorer and top minute man.
• Through three games, Wilson is averaging 30.7 minutes per contest, five minutes better than the next Chanticleer, and 15.0 points per game, 4.0 better than his next highest teammate.
It Takes a Team
• The 2013-14 edition of the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers is a very balanced attack. Head coach Cliff Ellis has used all 12 available players so far this season and 11 of the 12 are averaging 7.0 minutes or more of action.
• The ability to stay on the floor has become much more competitive this season than in years past when the Chants featured game-tested veterans.
• With a roster that features just one player who has been in the CCU system for more than one season, the competition for playing time is evident every minute of practice and throughout the games.
• Just three games into the season, nine players are averaging double-digit minutes with just five averaging more than 20 per game.