Cameron's Four-Point Play Lifts Chants

El Hadji Ndieguene's Two Free Throws Seal Win


Junior josh Cameron

Dec. 21, 2013

Final Stats

NEW BRITAIN, Conn. - Junior Josh Cameron’s four-point play with 22 seconds on the clock helped lift Coastal Carolina to its first road victory of the season over Central Connecticut State University, 65-62. Senior El Hadji Ndieguene hit a pair of free throws with five seconds left to seal the win.

Cameron led all CCU scorers with 16 points while knocking down a team-high three 3-pointers and hitting all three of his free throws. Freshman Elijah Wilson added 14 points and five rebounds as he was 2-3 from 3-point range. The final double-digit scorer was junior Warren Gillis who scored 13 points and grabbed four rebounds.

Ndieguene led the team with 12 rebounds, none bigger than his rebound with five seconds left that helped secure the win. He scored six points while hitting his only two free throws of the game to seal the win. Sophomore Tristian Curtis scored nine points and grabbed seven rebounds including five offensive boards in the win. He also had a team-high two blocks.

The Chants improve to 6-6 on the season while the Blue Devils fall to 3-8.

The win marked the Chants first road non-conference victory since Dec. 6, 2011 at the Citadel.

CCU won the rebound battle 40-33 and out-shot the Blue Devils 41.0 percent to 36.2 percent.

The first half was tightly contested as the lead changed 13 times. The Chants jumped out to the early advantage opening the game with a 10-5 run that included four points from Wilson. The Blue Devils quickly cut the lead down to one and eventually took an 18-17 lead at the 10:34 mark of the first half on a Matt Hunter layup. CCU answered with a 4-0 run powered by a three from Cameron. CCSU once again came back and took a one-point lead at the 5:32 mark with a layup from Malcom McMillan but CCU answered with another 4-0 run powered by Curtis’ first career three-pointer. A 6-0 run by the Blue Devils gave CCSU its largest lead of the period, 29-27. A three by Wilson made that lead quickly evaporate but the Chants and Blue Devils traded baskets down the stretch and a layup with less than a second left on the clock by Matt Mobley gave the Blue Devils a 33-32 halftime advantage.

The beginning of the second half saw the Blue Devils jump out to a three-point lead on a layup by Kyle Vinales, who scored a game-high 20 points. CCU used a quick 6-0 run to take a 38-35 lead and eventually built the lead up to six points with 15:19 to play. An 11-2 run by the Blue Devils gave CCSU a 48-45 lead with 11:13 to play. The score would flip flop the rest of the second half. With 31 seconds left on the clock, CCSU’s Malcolm McMillan hit a pair of free throws to put the Blue Devils up 62-59. On CCU’s next possession the Chants were setting up their play when Cameron saw an opening on the left wing and launched a three. He was knocked over but the shot hit the bottom of the net and a foul was called. The three tied the game and Cameron stepped to the lin with 22 seconds left and hit his free throw to give CCU a 63-62 lead. On CCSU’s next possession they settled for a three which hit the rim and Ndieguene was there to collect the rebound in traffic. He was immediately fouled with five seconds left on the clock. He hit both free throws which put the Chants up 65-62. The Blue Devils desperation three did not find the mark as the Chants hung on for the 65-62 victory.

Coastal will be back in action next Monday, Dec. 30 as the Chants host South Carolina State for a 7 p.m. tip inside The HTC Center.



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago