Baseball Announces Non-Conference Opponents
CONWAY - Coastal Carolina will open the 2018 baseball season Feb. 16-19 by hosting the 18th annual Brittain Resorts Baseball at the Beach with a top-notch field that features Indiana, Oklahoma, South Alabama, Kansas State and Virginia Tech.
That will be the first of four home tournaments Coastal will host. Those fields will be just as enticing with the likes of VCU, West Virginia, Illinois, Maryland, Ball State, Radford, High Point and Ohio State. The dates for the remaining three events are Feb. 23-25, Mar. 2-4 and Mar. 9-11.
Coastal, ranked 17th in the D1Baseball.com list of top 100 programs in the nation, will welcome UConn in mid-March, play two games at region rival College of Charleston and play home-and-home series with UNC Wilmington, Clemson, Wake Forest and North Carolina. Key non-conference home games during the midweek will include:
• Feb. 28 vs. UNC Wilmington.
• Mar. 7 vs. Wake Forest.
• Mar. 13 vs. UConn.
• Mar. 20 vs. Clemson.
• May 9 vs. North Carolina.
Among the 18 non-conference opponents:
• 14 are on the D1Baseball.com list of top 100 programs in the nation – North Carolina (12), Clemson (24), Indiana (31), Maryland (34), Oklahoma (35), Wake Forest (42), UNC Wilmington (48), UConn (57), College of Charleston (64), Illinois (66), West Virginia (73), VCU (76), Ohio State (87) and Kansas State (97). NOTE: Sun Belt teams on the D1Baseballtop 100 list include Louisiana (26), South Alabama (50) and Georgia Southern (92).
• 9 were listed among the NCAA final RPI top 100 in 2017 – North Carolina (5), Wake Forest (10), Clemson (15), West Virginia (20), Oklahoma (29), Indiana (34), UConn (42), Maryland (44) and VCU (96).
• 8 played in a 2017 NCAA Regional – Clemson, Maryland, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Radford, Oklahoma, Indiana and North Carolina.