Matt Beaird Drafted in 36th Round by Orioles
CONWAY - Coastal Carolina senior catcher Matt Beaird was selected in the 36th round (1,075th overall pick) of the Major League Baseball Draft by the Baltimore Orioles.
Since 2007, 48 Chanticleers have been drafted, including four in 2018 and 15 over the last three seasons.
Beaird will go down as one of the top defensive catchers in CCU history as he threw out a school-record 46 would-be base stealers in his career and threw out an impressive 44.2 percent of would-be base stealers for his career (46-of-107).
2018 SEASON HIGHLIGHTS:
• Graduated cum laude May 8, 2018 with a degree in exercise and sport science ... Named CoSIDA Academic All-District.
• Threw out 63.9% (23-of-36) of would-be base stealers to rank second in the NCAA ... Was just 1-of-6 in the NCAA to throw out at least 50%.
• Led the Sun Belt by throwing out 23 would-be base stealers and opponents attempted a league-low 36 attempts against Beaird ... Also led in the league by picking off six runners (three at first base and three at second base).
• By throwing out 23 would-be base stealers, he ranks second on the CCU single-season list.
• Committed just one error in 2018 and just committed just seven for his career (1,286 career chances).
• Closed his senior campaign in impressive fashion ... Had a nine game hit streak and had a hit in nine of his last 10, batting .419 (13-for-31 with six of his 12 doubles hit for the season.
2018 BIG GAMES
• Accounted for three of CCU's five runs in a 6-5 loss to #17 Indiana by going 3-for-5 with two RBI and run scored.
• Was 1-for-4 in the Radford win, that one hit being his first career grand slam which proved to be the game-winner.
• In the Clemson win (3.20), was 2-for-4 with an RBI, run scored and picked off a runner at second.
• Hit a solo HR as part of a 3-for-4 game in the Texas State opener, having 2 RBI and 2 runs scored.
• Came through with a two-run double in the 8th to tie game 2-2 in the series opener at Troy.
• In CCU's lone win at Louisiana, was 1-for-2 with a walk, sac fly RBI and scored twice.
• At Sun Belt Tournament, hit four doubles and batted .438 (7-for-16).
• At NCAA Regional, had two hits with a double, scored three times and walked twice.
BEAIRD AMONG THE CCU CAREER LEADERS:
Most caught stealing by: 1st (46)
Most sacrifice hits: 2nd (39)
Most chances: 2nd (1296)
Most putouts: 2nd (1173)
Highest fielding pct.: 4th (.995)
Most runners picked off: t-10th (8)
Lowest stolen base against pct.: 12th (.570)
BEAIRD AMONG THE CCU SINGLE-SEASON LEADERS:
Most caught stealing by: 2nd (23 in 2018)
Most sacrifice hits: 7th (17 in 2017)
Most runners picked off: t-7th (6 in 2018)
Highest fielding pct.: 8th (.998 in 2018)
Lowest stolen base against pct.: 13th (.361 in 2018)
Highest fielding pct.: 14th (.995 in 2017)
Most sacrifice hits: t-14th (12 in 2016)
Most caught stealing by: 15th (12 in 2016)
Most putouts: 16th (411 in 2018)
Most chances: 17th (460 in 2018)