Baseball Off to Hot Start Despite Facing Big Name Opponents; More to Come
The Coastal Carolina baseball team is off to a solid start, posting a 7-2 record and having one of the nation’s top offenses to date. The Chanticleers are also doing this while playing one of the nation’s toughest schedules with more high-profile names set for the immediate future.
• Coastal is now 7-2 to start the 2018 season.
• It is CCU’s best start since opening 2010 with a 12-2 mark. (CCU finished 2010 55-10 including a loss in the NCAA Regional and two losses in the NCAA Super Regional.)
• Of its opponents to date this season, seven were ranked on the D1Baseball Top 100 programs released prior to the season including:
o #31 Indiana
o #35 Oklahoma
o #64 College of Charleston
o #66 Illinois
o #73 West Virginia
o #76 VCU
o #97 Kansas State
• Starting Feb. 28 versus UNC Wilmington, Coastal will face seven more teams in 21 days with strong tradition:
o CCU hosts #48 on D1Baseball Top 100 programs UNC Wilmington Feb. 28.
o CCU hosts #34 on D1Baseball Top 100 programs Maryland Mar. 3.
o CCU hosts Radford, which played in the 2015 and ’17 NCAA Regionals, Mar. 4.
o CCU hosts #42 on D1Baseball Top 100 programs Wake Forest Mar. 7.
o CCU hosts #87 on D1Baseball Top 100 programs Ohio State Mar. 10 and 11.
o CCU hosts #57 on D1Baseball Top 100 programs UConn Mar. 13.
o CCU hosts #24 on D1Baseball Top 100 programs Clemson Mar. 20.
• CCU IN THE NCAA/SUN BELT STATS:
o Doubles (26) 1st NCAA / 1st Sun Belt
o Runs (75) 6th NCAA / 1st Sun Belt
o Hits (96) 6th NCAA / 1st Sun Belt
o Walks Drawn (48) 11th NCAA / 3rd Sun Belt
o Stolen Bases (14) 14th NCAA / 1st Sun Belt
o Home Runs (11) 12th NCAA / 2nd Sun Belt
o Slugging Pct (.492) 24th NCAA / 1st Sun Belt
o Fewest Walks Allowed/9 (2.49) 24th NCAA / 1st Sun Belt
o WHIP (1.12) 33rd NCAA / 1st Sun Belt
o Strikeout-to-Walk (3.26) 37th NCAA / 1st Sun Belt
o Batting (.297) 50th NCAA / 1st Sun Belt
o ERA (2.93) 53rd NCAA / 1st Sun Belt