Feb. 13, 2013
CONWAY - Coastal Carolina will open its 2013 season this weekend, hosting James Madison in a three-game series.
Game 1: at Florence on the campus of Francis Marion - Sparrow Stadium. FIRST PITCH IS SET FOR 1 pm. Game will be on 100.3 FM The Team and on GoCCUSports.com at http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/coastal.portal#
Game 2: at Myrtle Beach's TicketReturn.com Field at Pelicans Ballpark. FIRST PITCH IS SET FOR 4 pm. NOTE, Due to the marathon, the gate will not open until 3 pm and ALL FANS SHOULD PARK AT BROADWAY AT THE BEACH. Game will be available on GoCCUSports.com.
Game 3: at TicketReturn.com Field. FIRST PITCH IS SET FOR 2 pm. CCU will present the 2012 team with its Big South Championship rings prior the coaches/umpire meeting. Game will be on 100.3 FM The Team and on GoCCUSports.com at http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/coastal.portal#
DID YOU KNOW...
Coastal Carolina is the third-winningest baseball program in NCAA Division I this decade (2010-12)?
• Virginia tops the list with a .763 winning percentage, followed by South Carolina (.760), COASTAL CAROLINA (.739), Arizona State (.732) and Florida (.724)
Coastal Carolina ranks fifth in NCAA Division I for most wins this decade (2010-12)?
• South Carolina leads the list with 158, followed by Florida (147), Virginia (146), Florida State (144) and COASTAL CAROLINA (139).
Coastal Carolina was the eighth-winningest baseball program in NCAA Division I from 2000-09?
• rice (.73), Florida State (.743), Oral roberts (.743), Texas (.717), North Carolina (.707), South Carolina (.700), Miami (Fla.) (.695), COASTAL CAROLINA (.695), Cal State Fullerton (.694) and Georgia Tech (.724)
Coastal Carolina ranked 13th in NCAA Division I for most wins from 2000-09?
• Florida State (504), Rice (494), Texas (479), South Carolina (468), North Carolina (459), Wichita State (459), Cal State Fullerton (442), Oral Roberts (440), LSU (440), Georgia Tech (437), Clemson (436), Miami (Fla.) (434), COASTAL CAROLINA (432), Nebraska (428) and Tulane (422).
COASTAL MAKING THEMSELVES AT "HOME" IN 2013
Coastal Carolina is having to play its 2013 games off campus as the University is in the midst of building a $10.2 million baseball/softball complex. However, since the Chanticleers regularly use TicketReturn.com Field at Pelicans Ballpark as a venue --be it the annual Baseball at the Beach tournaments or NCAA postseason, all games are considered "Home" games for Coastal Carolina.
However, the 2013 season opener versus James Madison in Florence at Francis Marion's Sparrow Stadium will be considered a "Neutral" site with Coastal serving as the designated home team.
COASTAL AT TICKETRETURN.COM FIELD AT PELICANS BALLPARK (33-16)
Coastal Carolina has played at least two games -- and as many as 11 -- at the home of the Myrtle Beach Pelicans since 2000, which was year two of the facility's history. In all, Coastal has played 49 games at the facility and own an impressive 33-16 (.673) record.
Most of CCU's games in the facility has been part of the annual Baseball at the Beach tournament with the Chanticleers posting a 27-11 record in the prestigious weekend event. Coastal has also hosted two NCAA Regionals (2007 and 2010) and one NCAA Super Regional (2010), going 2-2 in `07, winning the `10 Regional with a 4-1 record and going 0-2 versus eventual national champion South Carolina in the `10 Super Regional.
Also, Coastal Carolina played the Texas Rangers in the facility in 2011 before a sold-out crowd.
In fact, Coastal has been responsible for four of the 10 times the facility has been sold-out --three times getting standing room only crowds.
COASTAL ON FRANCIS MARION'S CAMPUS (12-3)
While Coastal is making its first appearance at Francis Marion's Sparrow Stadium, the Chanticleers have played several times on Francis Marion's campus as the two schools were both a member of the NAIA District 6 from 1977-85. Coastal Carolina owns a 12-3 record in games played in Florence.
IN SEASON OPENERS (25-12) AND MORE
From available historical files dating back to 1974, Coastal Carolina owns a 25-12 record in season openers.
When playing their home opener -- WHICH WILL BE SATURDAY, the Chanticleers are 21-8. Since head coach Gary Gilmore took over in 1996, Coastal is 14-3 in season openers, while posting a 16-1 record in home openers under Gilmore.
Coastal Carolina has won each of its last seven season openers and each of its last 14 home openers.
CCU VS JMU (CCU LEADS 7-5)
Coastal Carolina and James Madison have met on 12 previous occasions -- all coming on the Chants' home turf -- and Coastal owns a 7-5 advantage in the series record. Coastal has won two straight, four of the last five and six of the last eight in the series. This marks the second consecutive year the Chanticleers and Dukes have opened their respective seasons.
STREAKS FROM LAST YEAR
• Jacob May has a four-game hit streak and has reached base safely in 12 consecutive games.
• Ted Blackman has a four-game hit streak and has reached base safely in six consecutive games.
• Brian Pruett has a three-game hit streak and has reached base safely in three consecutive games.
• Chris Suseck has a two-game hit streak and has reached base safely in four consecutive games.
• Justin Creel has a one-game hit streak and has reached base safely in one consecutive game.
• Josh Powell has a one-game hit streak and has reached base safely in one consecutive game.