INSURANCE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This information is designed to help explain our insurance policy, referral procedures and any question you may have concerning our athletic injury coverage Insurance coverage carried by the Coastal Carolina University.
The goal of the Athletic Department is to provide the best student-athlete health care system. Communication and cooperation between the student athlete and the Athletic Training Staff is essential in order for the system to function.
Coastal Carolina University an Accident policy in place for all full-time students, thru AIG. This policy does cover Intercollegiate Athletics, but does have a maximum benefits cap. Athletic Department also has a Secondary Insurance policy for its student athletes. The policy provides for secondary coverage on injuries that are a direct result of intercollegiate activity during a required practice or competition supervised by an Athletic Department staff person. This policy will be applied only to medical expenses for services rendered by a participant in our network. The secondary policy requires that all claims be filed with the primary insurance company.
Athletic injury expenses that are authorized and are not covered by primary insurance will be paid according to policy and procedures of the Department of Athletics. Please note that Coastal Carolina University's policy is not all-inclusive.
The Athletic Training Staff must approve all referrals to specialists in writing. Failure to gain advance approval in writing, will result in the student-athlete being responsible for the charges.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTSEach year student-athletes must provide a copy of current primary insurance coverage. This information and a photocopy (front and back) of the applicable ID card must be on file prior to participation.
It is the responsibility of the student-athlete to obtain all necessary demographic, primary insurance and secondary insurance forms (secondary insurance provider letter) from a member of the Athletic Training staff prior to a medical appointment outside of the training room.
HOW ARE CLAIMS FILED
Our secondary insurance policy requires that student-athletes make an initial claim with their primary insurance company. The Athletic Training staff will assist in providing this information to the medical vendor.
When is a student-athlete referred to a physician?
What if I belong to an HMO or a PPO?
Yes, if prior written authorization is obtained. The student-athlete will be responsible for all costs incurred with out of network care without this authorization.
Can a student-athlete seek a second opinion?
If a student-athlete seeks a second opinion or care from a physician outside of the Coastal Carolina University's Medical Network he/she will be medically ineligible to participate until he/she has been cleared by a Department of Athletics team physicians. Additionally the Department of Athletics may not assume any financial responsibility for travel costs and services generated by the second opinion.
What is NOT covered under Coastal Carolina University's secondary insurance policy?
• Injury sustained in an activity that is not associated with required intercollegiate practice or competition or a not within NCAA rules.
• Conditions that result from non-compliance
• Unauthorized consultations or treatments
• Injuries sustained after collegiate eligibility has been completed
• Care and removal of tonsils, appendix, wisdom teeth etc.
• Routine or non-athletic related dental exams and/or treatment
• Routine or non-athletic related eye exams, prescriptions, and/or treatment
What about illness coverage?
1. Illnesses are not covered under Coastal Carolina University's Accident policy or the Secondary insurance policy through Athletics.
2. Illnesses are covered at no cost to a full-time enrolled student at Coastal Carolina University's Student-Health center.
a. If diagnostic testing or further treatment is necessary, then the student-athlete's primary insurance will be solely responsible.
3. In the event that Coastal Carolina University's Student Health Center is unavailable, then the Athletic Training staff can assist in making arrangements to be seen at an alternate facility, while in consultation with the Athletic Medical Director.
For claims and bill processing
Send all requested information to:
Coastal Carolina University
P.O. Box 261954
Conway, SC 29528-6054
ATHLETIC TRAINING LINKS
• Team Physicians
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- For Fans
- Browser Theme
- Donation Requests
- Request Chauncey
- Photo Galleries
- Student Rewards
- Sports Camps
- Chauncey's Kids Club
- Academic Support Services
- Student-Athlete Enhancement
- Athletic Training
- CCU Policies
- Coastal Carolina University & Title IX
- Composite Schedule
- Department News
- CAF GIVING
- Donate Now
- Donate For Parking
- Donate to Brooks Stadium Expansion
- Donate to "Friends Of" Program
- CAF Membership Application
- Give Step Program
- Student CAF
- Naming Rights
- CAF INFORMATION
- CAF Home
- Brooks Stadium Expansion
- CAF Brochure
- Membership Levels
- Seating And Parking
- Suite Level Access
- The Chanticleer Gala
- CAF Board Of Directors
- Member Spotlight
- CAF Priority Points
- Contact The CAF
- I Want to Be Recruited by CCU
- NCAA Eligibility
- NCAA Compliance
- Academic Support Services
- Parents Central
- Myrtle Beach
- NCAA Championship Appearances
- Academic All-Americas
- Sasser Hall of Fame
- Conference Championships
- Big South Conference
- Sun Belt Conference
- Year In Review