Jan. 22, 2011
Dear Fellow Chanticleers:
It is hard to believe I am entering my second year as a member of the Coastal Carolina family. The first year has been so exciting and I am so thankful for the tremendous support from each member of the various constituent groups associated with CCU Athletics. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone associated with Chanticleer Athletics who has made year one so memorable and one filled with unprecedented success for our student-athletes.
I have established our vision as becoming the "premier FCS Division I Institution in the country" and that our Department of Athletics produces student-athletes who will be "Champions for Life." We are not there yet, but we are making strides daily and, if last year is an indication, will get there sooner rather than later.
Thank you Chanticleer student-athlete and coaches for:
• Leading the Big South Conference with a 93% graduation rate.
• Winning both the men and women's Big South Scholar-Athlete of the Year Awards.
• Earning 2.98 cumulative GPA.
• Placing 165 student-athletes on the Dean's List.
• Winning six Big South Conference titles.
• Placing four teams in NCAA post season tournaments and one in the NIT.
• Men's Basketball earned it first bid to the NIT.
• Finishing 2nd in the Big South Conference's Sasser Cup Standings.
• Countless hours of community service.
Thank you Department of Athletics Leadership team and support staff for:
• Hosting NCAA Regional and Super Regional baseball events at BB&T Coastal Field.
• Hosting the school's first ever NCAA playoff game at Brooks Stadium.
• Hosting the Big South Conference Men's Basketball Championship.
• Efforts to insure successful openings of Adkins Field House and Will Garland Student-Athlete Academic Enhancement Center, both of which benefit all our student-athletes.
• Restructuring our external units to assist in successfully increasing revenues derived from private donations, sponsorship sales and ticket sales.
• Creating a vision for the Department of Athletics and corresponding mission statement, guiding principles and strategic goals.
• Getting on the BUS!
Thank you University Administration, Faculty and Staff for:
• Supporting our student-athletes in their academic, athletic and personal endeavors.
• Allowing the Department of Athletics to be an integral part of the educational foundation of this great University.
Thank you Chanticleer Fans and the Grand Strand Community for:
• Coastal's great students, giving us a true home-field advantage.
• Selling out the Myrtle Beach Super Regional.
• Selling out the Big South Conference's MBB Tournament.
• Setting a new average attendance standard for our football and baseball venues.
• Donating your hard-earned money at in support of our student-athletes.
• Increasing our level of local business sponsorship support by 60%.