NCAA Eligibility Center
Compliance Staff
Compliance Manual
Compliance Home
NCAA Public Reporting Database



The NCAA Eligibility Center

What is the NCAA Eligibility Center?
The NCAA Eligibility Center will certify the academic and amateur credentials of all college-bound student-athletes who wish to compete in NCAA Division I or II athletics. If you intend to participate in Division I or II athletics, you must register with and be certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center.

How do I register with the Eligibility Center?
The only method of registration is online. Please note that the Web address for the Eligibility Center was changed in the summer of 2009. Go online to www.eligibilitycenter.org. Register as a U.S. or international student and complete the Student Release Form online. Then follow instructions to complete the registration process. You will be asked to include your credit or debit card information to pay the fee at the time of registration. The registration fee is $60 for domestic and $85 for international students. Students should register with the Eligibility Center at the beginning of their junior year in high school.

What information does the Eligibility Center need to certify me?
In order to receive a final certification decision from the NCAA Eligibility Center, you must:

  1. Register online and pay the registration fee.
  2. Send official transcripts from every high school you attended to the Eligibility Center. Faxed transcripts are not acceptable.
  3. Request the appropriate testing agency (SAT/ACT) to send your official test scores to the Eligibility Center using code 9999. Test scores on your high school transcript will not be used.
  4. Submit your final high school transcript with proof of graduation to the Eligibility Center.
  5. Complete the Amateurism Questionnaire AND request final amateurism certification.

What is the 16-Core Course Requirement?
If you want to participate in Division I athletics or receive an athletics scholarship during your first year out of high school, you must satisfy the 16 core course requirement. Remember that not all classes you take to meet high school graduation requirements may be used as core courses. These 16 core courses must be included on your high school's list of approved core courses which can be found on the Eligibility Center Web site or by asking your guidance counselor. The minimum approved core course requirements are:
• 4 years of English.
• 3 years of mathematics (Algebra I or higher).
• 2 years of natural/physical science (1 year of lab if offered by high school).
• 1 year of additional English, mathematics or natural/physical science.
• 2 years of social science.
• 4 years of additional courses (from any area above, foreign language or non-doctrinal religion/philosophy).

How do I have my test scores sent to the Eligibility Center?
All SAT and ACT scores must be reported to the Eligibility Center directly from the testing agency. Test scores will not be accepted if reported on a high school transcript. When registering for the SAT or ACT, input the Eligibility Center code of 9999 to make sure the score is reported directly to the Eligibility Center. You may also log on to the SAT or ACT web site and request your scores to be sent to the Eligibility Center.

Recruiting Regulations

When do I become a prospective student-athlete?
Typically when you start ninth-grade. However, if a college gives you, your relatives or your friends any financial aid or other benefits that the college does not provide to students generally, then you become a prospective student-athlete before your ninth-grade year.

When is a college considered to be recruiting me? Recruiting is considered to have occurred when a coach, institutional staff member or representative of the institution's athletics interests solicits a prospect (or a prospect's relatives or legal guardians) for the purpose of securing that student's enrollment and participation in athletics at their institution.

Who can recruit me? Only University coaches and authorized institutional staff members. Representatives of an institution's athletics interests, such as boosters, alumni, and friends of the University, are NOT permitted to have contact with a prospective student-athletes in any way.

Official Visits

What is an official visit?
Any visit to a college campus by you and your parents paid for by the college. The college may pay all or some of your expenses and provide you with three complimentary admissions to a home athletics contest.

How many official visits am I allowed to take? Beginning when?
You are limited to one official visit per college and up to a maximum of five official visits total to Divisions I and II colleges. These visits may be taken following the opening day of classes during your senior year of high school.

What must the school have from me before I take an official visit?
Before a college may invite you on an official visit, you will have to register with the Eligibility Center and provide the college with a copy of your high school transcript and SAT, ACT or PLAN score.

Unofficial Visits

What is an unofficial visit?
Any visit by you and your parents to a college campus paid for by you or your parents. The only expense you may receive from the college is three complimentary admissions to a home athletics contest.

How many unofficial visits am I allowed to take? Beginning when?
You may make as many unofficial visits as you like and may take those visits at any time. The only time you cannot talk with a coach during an unofficial visit is during a dead period.

Telephone Calls & Contacts

Who can call me on the telephone? When? How often?
Only coaches and authorized institutional staff members may call prospects, and rules regarding telephone calls do vary by sport. In sports other than football and basketball, coaches may begin call you once per week starting July 1st following your junior year. In football, coaches may call you one time from April 15 - May 31 during your junior year. Coaches may then start calling you once per week after September 1 of your senior year. In men's basketball, coaches are permitted one call per month beginning June 15 before your junior year through July 31 after your junior year. Beginning August 1 after your junior year, coaches may call twice per week. In women's basketball, coaches are permitted to call once per month in April, May and from June 1-20 during your junior year, as well as once between June 21 - 30, and three times in July after your junior year. Beginning August 1 after your junior year, coaches can make one call per week.

Can I call a coach? When? How often?
Yes. You can make an unlimited number of calls to a coach at your own expense at any time. Remember though that a coach may not be able to call you back if you leave a message if it is not a permissible call period explained above based on your grade level, or if the coach has reached the maximum number of permissible calls for that time period.

Who can have an in-person, off-campus contact with me? When? How often?
Only coaches can have in-person, off-campus contact with a prospect, and similar to telephone calls, the rules regarding contacts do vary by sport. In sports other than football and basketball, it is permissible to make an in-person, off-campus recruiting contact starting July 1 following your junior year, limited to three per year. Football is permitted off-campus contact beginning July 1 of your senior year and is limited to six contacts during a contact period. Men's basketball is permitted to make an in-person, off-campus recruiting contact starting September 9 of your senior year, limited to three contacts during the prospect's senior year. Women's basketball is permitted to do so starting September 16 of your senior year, limited to three contacts during the prospect's senior year.

When are coaches allowed to have unlimited calls to me?
During the five days immediately prior to, and during, your official visit to that University; on the day of a permissible, in-person, off-campus contact that occurs between you and a coach; after the calendar day on which you sign a National Letter of Intent (NLI); and in all sports other than football, on the initial NLI signing date and during the two days immediately following the initial signing date. In football, coaches are permitted to make unlimited calls during the 48 hours before and after 7 a.m. on the initial NLI signing date.

Correspondence & Recruiting Materials

From whom can I receive letters? Beginning when?
Coaches can begin sending you recruiting materials, such as letters and e-mails, beginning September 1 of your junior year. In men's basketball, you may begin receiving recruiting materials June 15 after your sophomore year.

What can a university send me?
General correspondence (such as letters and e-mails), questionnaires, media guides, camp brochures, business cards, institutional note cards or postcards, pre-enrollment information subsequent to signing a National Letter of Intent, non-athletics institutional publications, and NCAA educational material published by the NCAA may all be mailed to a prospect. Game programs, however, cannot be mailed to a prospect but may be provided during an official or unofficial visit.

Can they send me anything prior to my junior year?
Yes, but only questionnaires, summer camp brochures, non-athletics institutional publications, and NCAA educational material published by the NCAA.

Summer Jobs

Can a university I will be attending help me get a summer job? Beginning when?
Yes, an institution may arrange for employment opportunities provided the employment does not begin until after graduation from high school.

Are there payment regulations for summer employment?
Yes, compensation may only be paid for work actually performed and at a rate comparable with the going rate in that locality for similar services. It is preferred that payment is received by check or direct deposit, as opposed to a cash transaction.

Can I accept transportation from my employer?
Free transportation to and from a job may not be provided unless it is the employer's established policy to transport all employees to and from the job site.

Any Questions?

If you should have any further questions, please contact a member of Coastal Carolina University's Athletic Compliance Office.

You can also gain further information through the NCAA's Web site at www.ncaa.org and the Web site for the NCAA Eligibility Center, located at www.eligibilitycenter.org.


2013-2014 Required Student-Athlete Paperwork Get Acrobat Reader

Recruited Status Form Get Acrobat Reader

Summary of 2013-2014 NCAA Regulations Get Acrobat Reader






  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago